Search This Blog

Thursday, January 21, 2010

There is a sun

I know that my previous two blogs written dealt with what I dealt with and the frustrating part about life is that I think everyone has jobs that gets on their nerves and it is not always easy to find another. An actual career might be better but all jobs have their ups and downs. Retail is not easy, although it seems that way from a distance. I knew that I had to keep this job for as long as I could until something better comes along. This job has taught me a lot. I see my coworkers and my supervisors as family, we even joke around and get on each other's nerves as family but it's a tough love. We have a job to do and everything must be done by the time we leave. No one can run a store by themselves and you got to have a great crew that is willing to apply themselves. You can't let a bad day bring you down. I have seen other stores that have larger crews that don't get as much done. In fact, their stores are always a mess because try as the store manager might, he or she can't get those store associates motivated enough to do themselves proud. They'd rather be lazy, sure the pay isn't great but you still have a job to do and at the end of the day, it's coming home doing yourself proud. I could easily have been that lazy person but I was lucky enough to get good people as my store family. I stayed to do them proud and not doing my job would've stressed them out far more than it would have me. The way I see it, if you can't apply yourself and work hard in what you don't want to do, even for a short period of time, then do you truly deserve to be rewarded with a job you want to do and get paid well for it? Life doesn't always work that way. Sometimes we have to develop our passion for free, just for the experience and lessons; to face fears or what have you. My love lies in my art and writing. In fact, writing is much easier but I do miss my painting classes. Sure it took 3 hours or more for a painting start to finish but those 3 hours were relaxing and therapeutic. Writing about my job stresses had the same effect, although it was the same stuff that irritated me. I had two choices, I could either let my job get to me or I could finally cope with it. I chose to cope with it because I would rather not have anything in life change me for the worse. Meditating twice a day has been a big help, so has finding a life outside work. I also learned that one reason we get so mad at work is that each little thing is a reminder that we don't take care of ourselves and so we wish that others took care of us. The cure is to take care of yourself before you go to work; challenges are easier that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment